Remove large text string? (email disclaimer)

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I have users that email a blog.

Our email is hosted so all of the email sent has a disclaimer. I would love to remove it.

Can I do that with this? Is there a limit to the size of the string? I have WSS 3 and MOSS 2007

It's 514 characters

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM

If you are certain the e-mail disclaimer is always the last 514 characters of the field value, then I think using a combination of the String Actions in this WSP will work.

You would need to set up a variable and obtain the Length of the whole string, then perform a math action to minus 514 characters (I think this is available with standard SPD Workflows), then use the SubString(start, length) action to truncate the field data accordingly - SubString(0, {variable}).

As for limits to the size of the string, the WSP code isn't limited in this way - it uses the .Net intrinsic variable type (in this case, String) - and the start, length variables are 32 bit integers - so you're limitations are basically around the 4.2 billion character mark.

Having said that, the wiring that makes up SPD Workflows may have some limitation along the way - I haven't got a machine with this WSP installed readily available so I can't quickly test it with large amount of data.  I recommend you try it out in a test environment first (the software is, afterall, still marked as Beta).