Unable to use Actions

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hi, I installed this but I was unable to find anywhere to activate the function...

The actions do appear in my workflow but when I click them, they don't actually appear in the workflow constructor.

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Hi Thomas,

After deploying the WSP, has the feature been activated on the Web Application feature in your SharePoint environment?

1. Go to your SharePoint Central Admin site
  2. Go to Application Management
  3. Go to Manage Web application features (under the SharePoint Web Application Management sub-heading)
  4. Select the Web Application under which you will deploy your workflow (top-right corner of the Manage Web Application Features page)
  5. Hit the Activate button (if it isn't already activated)

If that doesn't work, reply here so we can work out what else might be wrong.

- Mark

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Hi,

I have the same issue as ThomasRoberts.

Feature is installed and activated. Actions appear in SPD, but once an action is selected, nothing appears in the edit field for the action (stays blank).

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks for helping

- Andy

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2010 at 3:24 AM
An iisreset after the install is completed might help. Also make sure you restart sharepoint designer after the iisreset.

Sent from my iPhone
Mar 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM
mpowney wrote:
An iisreset after the install is completed might help. Also make sure you restart sharepoint designer after the iisreset.

Sent from my iPhone

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Deployed the solution

2. Activated the solution

3. Did an iisreset on the Sharepoint Server

4. Restarted the SharePoint Designer

I am able to see the Actions in the Designer but still not able to use them (After I select the actions nothing happens)

Am I missing anything in here?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Hi schutkay,

It sounds like something hasn't "taken hold" in your environment.  When SharePoint Designer doesn't allow you to do anything with an action, it typically means the solution's DLL hasn't been loaded into the SharePoint environment correctly.

One thing I remember being an issue while developing this solution is to ensure that SharePoint Designer has completely closed (i.e. close all sites you might have open in SharePoint Designer, and ensure SPDESIGN.EXE is no longer running in Task Manager).

Failing that being the cause, I'd start looking around your SharePoint environment to make sure the solution is deployed correctly:

1. Has the solution's DLL been successfully deployed to the GAC? Browse to C:\WINDOWS\assembly and look for "SPDWorkflowStringActions"
  2. Has the ACTIONS file been deployed to the SharePoint 12 hive? Browse to (typically) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow and look for the file named SPDWorkflowStringActions.actions
  3. Do the assembly references inside the .actions file match the assembly loaded in to the GAC (they should, unless the file has been modified to be different to the package)?
    1. Open the SPDWorkflowStringActions.actions file with a text editor
    2. Look for the first instance of Assembly="..." (N.B. all references to Assembly="..." should be the same in the .actions file)
    3. The Name, Version, and PublicKeyToken should be the same in Assembly="..." to what is shown when you look at the SPDWorkflowStringActions assemly in the GAC

If none of the above helps, what is your version of SharePoint server, and your version of SharePoint Designer?

- Mark

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Hi Mark,

once I updated Sharepoint it worked. I can’t tell you the exact version which ran before, but I reactivated the solution and it started working.

I had some problems with some of the actions, though. I’ll let you know when I find some time to investigate….

Thanks for your answers,

Andy

Andreas Böh
Manager Business Technology

Tel.: +49 (0)89 66 54 79-42
Fax: +49 (0)89 66 54 79-10
aboeh@valueclick.com

Beschreibung: vc_sig

ValueClick Deutschland GmbH
Hauptstrasse 1
D-82008 Unterhaching/München
Geschäftsführer: James R. Zarley, HRB 132209 München
www.valueclick.de

This email and any files included with it may contain proprietary and/or confidential information that is privileged and confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution, posting, or use of the information contained in or attached to this email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via return e-mail, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission and its included files without reading or saving it in any manner. ValueClick Deutschland GmbH, Hauptstrasse 1, 82008 Unterhaching.

Von: mpowney [email removed]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. März 2011 22:50
An: Andreas Boeh
Betreff: Re: Unable to use Actions [spdwfstringactions:228475]

Hi schutkay,

It sounds like something hasn't "taken hold" in your environment. When SharePoint Designer doesn't allow you to do anything with an action, it typically means the solution's DLL hasn't been loaded into the SharePoint environment correctly.

One thing I remember being an issue while developing this solution is to ensure that SharePoint Designer has completely closed (i.e. close all sites you might have open in SharePoint Designer, and ensure SPDESIGN.EXE is no longer running in Task Manager).

Failing that being the cause, I'd start looking around your SharePoint environment to make sure the solution is deployed correctly:

1. Has the solution's DLL been successfully deployed to the GAC? Browse to C:\WINDOWS\assembly and look for "SPDWorkflowStringActions"

2. Has the ACTIONS file been deployed to the SharePoint 12 hive? Browse to (typically) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow and look for the file named SPDWorkflowStringActions.actions

3. Do the assembly references inside the .actions file match the assembly loaded in to the GAC (they should, unless the file has been modified to be different to the package)?

1. Open the SPDWorkflowStringActions.actions file with a text editor

2. Look for the first instance of Assembly="..." (N.B. all references to Assembly="..." should be the same in the .actions file)

3. The Name, Version, and PublicKeyToken should be the same in Assembly="..." to what is shown when you look at the SPDWorkflowStringActions assemly in the GAC

If none of the above helps, what is your version of SharePoint server, and your version of SharePoint Designer?

- Mark

This email and any files included with it may contain privileged,
proprietary and/or confidential information that is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution,
posting, or use of the information contained in or attached to this
email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender. If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender
via return email, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
and its included files without reading or saving it in any manner.
Thank you.
Apr 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I added this line to the web.config to get it working yet it still fails to add anything to the workflow correctly, SP2 version of sharepoint 2007, I do get the items in actions but if I click on them it does not add to the workflow.

<authorizedType Assembly="SPDWorkflowStringActions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3825586d873cffa1" Namespace="SPDWorkflowStringActions" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
    </authorizedTypes>

AND

<SafeControl Assembly="SPDWorkflowStringActions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3825586d873cffa1" Namespace="SPDWorkflowStringActions" TypeName="*" Safe="True" />

Any Clues?